Cernobbio is a famous city near Como, on the Lake.
In the 19th century, thanks to its delightful geographical position, Cernobbio became an ideal holiday destination where the nobility built sumptuous places and villas like the Garden Hotel Villa d’Este. In this century tourism and industrial development profoundly change its overall layout, turning Cernobbio from a small village into a fashionable resort.
The main HIGHLITS of Cernobbio are:
With its beautiful decorations made of various materials, Villa Bernasconi was built Art Noveau between 1906 and 1907 by the silk industrialist Davide Bernasconi.
CITTADELLA DELLA SETA
It is a very particular industrial archeological site of Cernobbio: still visible the worker’s houses of the “Tessiture Bernasconi” and a nursery for their children.
With its characteristic tower, villa Erba is a splendid jewel of eclectic neo-Renaissance style of 20th century. Its name is linked to that of the Italian film director Luchino Visconti who spent part of his life here. Inside the villa there is a small museum and some rooms dedicated to him.
PIAZZA RISORGIMENTO AND THE PIER
Cernobbio is internationally know for its huge villas which can be admired in their full splendor above all from the lake in piazza Risorgimento. Here there is also the Pier of ferry boats, built in 1906, and the monument dedicated to soldiers fallen in the world wars.
CHURCH OF ST. VINCENZO
It is situated in the historical and most ancient part of village and dedicated to the patron saint celebrated on the 22nd January. Ancient documents state that the church already existed around 1150. The medieval building completely rebuilt from 1757 to 1775.
Attributed to Pellegrino Tibaldi, Villa d’Este was erected by Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio at the end of 16th century. The villa took its present denomination in 1815 when it was bought by Princess Caroline Elisabeth of Brunswick.
On the promontory called “Il Pizzo” there is villa Pizzo, origally a simple holiday home built in the 15th century by the noble family Mugiasca, later extended and repeatedly embellished. The complex is composed of two buildings: lower Pizzo and upper Pizzo.